I doubled the recipe and made a 9 x 13. Enjoy!
Chocolate Peanut Butter Fun Cake (adapted from Epicurious)
* I doubled the recipe and baked in a 9 x 13
- Chocolate cake:
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (3 1/2 ounces) *I used bittersweet
- Peanut butter buttercream:
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup egg whites (from about 2 large eggs)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/4" cubes
- Kosher salt
- 1/4 cup chopped semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (about 1 3/4 ounces) *I used semisweet
- 1/4 cup chopped unsalted, dry roasted peanuts *I used salted, cocktail peanuts
- For chocolate cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat bottom and sides of pan with nonstick spray; Whisk flour and next 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Add oil, vanilla, and 1 1/4 cups water; whisk until smooth. Fold in chopped chocolate. Scrape into prepared pan; smooth top. Bake until a tester comes out clean when inserted into center, 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. *line pan with parchment paper if want to lift out to frost and cut
- For peanut butter buttercream:
- Combine sugar and egg whites in a medium metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk constantly until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot to the touch, 3-4 minutes. Remove from heat; using an electric mixer, beat on high speed until cool and thick, 5-6 minutes. Beat in vanilla, then peanut butter. With mixer running, add butter a few pieces at a time, beating to blend between additions. Season with salt.
- After cake is cooled, spread peanut butter buttercream over top. Garnish with chopped chocolate and peanuts. *If you used parchment paper and you choose to lift the cake out of the pan....Run a thin knife around pan to release cake. Invert cake onto a serving plate. Cut into 2" squares.
- DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.
- Printable Version
Post a Comment